So it is easy to make a resolution to blog regularly, but it’s much harder to keep going. I’ll bet that’s been said before? The weather and the threat of the second wave of COVID isn’t helping. Cold, rain, border closures, lock downs, endless TV images. It sucked any creativity and get up and go right away. Nothing happening, nothing to say, no reason to get out of bed, not going anywhere soon. BUT…
I did manage to throw myself into cleaning and sorting. I wonder if it’s satisfying my need for order and control of my life. An orderly cupboard, lots of full ordered drawers, an empty drawer, lots of empty plastic tubs and an empty work space. It’s taken quite a lot more time than I thought but I did it. Well, to be honest I can say that I sorted the cotton pieces. There is still lots more of the more interesting pieces to sort. I quite enjoyed the ironing and folding, rediscovering lots of lovely fabric pieces that I have collected over many years. I even ‘sanded’ the work table, trying to remove the creative efforts of the grandchild, who had put more texta and paint on the table than on the many art pieces he has contributed.
Strange, how the trio perched on the railing behind me watched my efforts, with wry grins on their faces. Curious creatures… they’re my cross between a reindeer and a rabbit. They emerge to add to the decor in both seasons, Christmas and Easter. It might be a stretch, but holding a big Easter egg, they could pass for a rabbit.
So how long did the work table stay in its pristine condition? Well, lets just say that before the sanding has been effectively finished….the table has a new project. Funny how a clean work bench just seems to call out to me. Or was it the idle chattering of those three watching me? More on that soon.
It’s all happening. I have two time consuming projects on the go. One is learning to blog and the other is the BIG CLEANUP. Now that the grandkids are back at school and I’ve stopped home schooling, I have no excuse.
My blogging skills are developing. Today I changed my template to allow me to show my posts on the home page. Yes, I know, they’re not there yet, but look again tomorrow!!! It does mean messing things around a bit, so stay with me. I made a few brief new posts to play with. I learnt to reorder posts, so I have more control.
I have a follower!!! I’d love some more (hint, hint). The FOLLOW button is now displayed more prominently. My new challenge is to find a quicker way to get to get my photos from my phone to here. I’ll work on it. Back to today’s post.
My attic studio has, I admit, been neglected for years. Fabric piled up in heaps wherever it landed. As a doll maker I have stored everything useful from fabric, doll hair, eyes, eyelashes, buttons, cottons etc. I save everything. Some may say compulsive. There was some vague order, but…..
Sorting and Storing the Stash
I’ve decided to start the clean up by sorting my fabric stash. After some experimentation and lots of mess I have a new system. Firstly I’ve sorted fabric by type, chiffon, velvet, cotton, fur etc into groups. Then the fun started. I’d all but put my iron and ironing board into moth balls years ago. I dragged it all upstairs and started to iron maniacally. But I was disappointed after trying to put it back into the cupboard drawers. It still ended up being a crumpled mess. Now, I think I’ve found a solution. I’ve started with the cottons. I sorted it into sizes as I ironed. I bought office filing cards in two sizes and wound the strips, fat quarters, and other lengths around the different cards. It stays firm and I can see all the different colours more easily.
I could take another studio photo… but I I’ve only made a miniscule difference so far.